VMware's virtualization solution abstracts out the hardware layer. The operating system runs in in a machine that happens to be a virtual machine not a physical machine. So the VM platform is consistent running on supported hardware such as Dell, HP, and IBM. This consistent foundation provides numerous advantages:
- A complete platform for public and private clouds.
- Ability to run legacy applications and software as well as the latest cloud applications in a common environment.
- Full support for an open environment where different solutions such as Microsoft, Oracle MySQL, SAP, Veritas, EMC, Netapps and NAS can run in the infrastructure provided by VMware.
- Less administration on the hardware and plumbing surrounding the hardware.
- Reduced errors and downtime.
- Easier to maintain.
- Less time required to troubleshoot.